Quit India Movement 1942 (August Movement) for freedom of India got started on 9th August 1942 at the Gwaliya Tank field (Bombay).
Causes of the Quit India movement
- Indian public was unsatisfied.
- Crips mission was failed
- The public was unsatisfied due to the high increment in the cost of goods during the Second War.
Read Also (For UPSC, State PSC, SSC): Dandi March
Read Also (For UPSC, State PSC, SSC): Non Cooperation Movement
Facts of This Movement
- In Vardha (July 1942), Congress accepted the Quit India Movement.
- In the meeting of All India national congress at Gualia Tank on 8 august 1942, passed the Quit India movement resolution.
- According to the Zero Hour operation, all big leaders were arrested at the starting of this movement.
- During the quit India movement, mahatma Gandhi gives Karo ya Maro Slogan.
- On 9 August 1942, the Quit India movement got started.
- During the Quit India movement, mahatma Gandhi detained in Aga khan fort at Poona.
- Aruna Asaf Ali is known as ‘old grand lady’. She hoists the Indian flag in the Gualiya tank field during the quit India movement.
- ‘Quit India’ or ‘Bharat Chodo’ slogan prepared by Yusuf Mehrali.
Incidents during Quit India Movement
- Chitu Panday that lived in Baliya (Uttar Pradesh), established a parallel Government. He snatched away all rights of the local district magistrate.
- At the place of Tamluk that was located at Midnapur (Bengal), Satish Savant established ‘one ethnic government’. This government (one ethnic government) established ‘armed vidhut Vahini’ with the help of Matangi Sahara.
- In Satara (Maharastra) Nana Patil established a long-term parallel government during the quit India movement in 1942. This parallel government established the Board of Justice (Mass Court).
- At the border of Nepal and North Bihar, Jaiprakash Narayan lead this quit India movement.
- In Bombay, Usha Mehta operated Congress radio as underground.
- Aruna Asaf Ali, Usha Mehta, Sucheta Kripalani worked for this movement.
- In this movement, the Muslim League not participated.
- The Communist Party boycott this movement.
- Hindu Mahasabha also not participate in this movement.
- Bharatiya Naukarshahi also not support this movement.
- This movement is known as the lasts stage movement of Indian freedom.
- This movement was led by the public because all popular and big leaders were arrested at the starting of this movement.
- Aruna Asaf Ali was a symbol of counteraction and disobedience during this movement.
- In February 1943, mahatma Gandhi announced a hunger strike for 21 days. The reason for this strike was- the British government wanted that Gandhi Ji condemned the public’s violence.
- Chakravarti Rajgopalachari Resigned from the Indian National Congress because he was not in favour of whole freedom.
Involved people in Quit India Movement
- Subhash Chandra Bose
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi)
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
- Mohd. Ali Jinnah
- Ji Prakash Narayan
- Ashok Mehta
- Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel
- Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Chakravarti Rajgopalachari
- Dr. Rajrndra Prasad